These terms and conditions (“Terms”) are supplemental to and should be read in conjunction with any specific entry instructions or terms (“Competition Information”) applying to each competition (“Competition”) within the 2020 online Scottish Agricultural Show or the 2020 online Royal Highland Show (including any instructions contained in video links) contained at www.Scottishagriculturalshow.co.uk and/or any social media pages relating thereto (the “Website”). Each Competition is run and promoted by D.C.Thomson & Co Limited, a company registered in Scotland (company number SC5830), whose registered office is at 2 Albert Square, Dundee, DD1 9QJ (“D.C.Thomson”) for the Royal Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland (the “Society”). In the event of any inconsistency between the Competition Information and these Terms, these Terms shall prevail.
To enter a Competition all entrants must comply with the entry requirements set out in the Competition Information and these Terms. The entrant acknowledges that failure to comply with the Competition Information or these Terms may result in his/her entry being ineligible and/or disqualification from the Competition. The decision of D.C. Thomson in this regard shall be final.
D.C. Thomson reserves the right to amend and update these Terms at their sole discretion from time to time and such changes will become effective as soon as they are published on the Website.
In these Terms “Editor” shall mean the editor(s), including online editor(s) of the newspapers and magazines published by D.C. Thomson and “Marketing Manager” shall mean the head of newspaper & magazine marketing for D.C. Thomson from time to time.
1. Employees directors and members of their immediate families (being spouses, parents, children and siblings) of:
(i) D. C. Thomson or the Society ; or
(ii) any company or sponsor associated with a specific Competition,
are not eligible to enter the Competitions.
2. Unless otherwise stated in the Competition Information, entry to all Competitions is restricted to entrants who are residents of the United Kingdom and Ireland.
3. Anyone under the age of 18 must obtain parental consent before submitting their entry.
4. Further restrictions for certain Competitions, regarding age and/or residence requirements may be specified in the Competition Information.
5. D. C. Thomson has the right at any time to require entrants to provide proof of identity as evidence of eligibility to participate. If an entrant fails to comply with a request for proof of identity, or provides false or misleading information, the Editor or Marketing Manager may at his/her discretion, disqualify the entrant from the Competition. Such decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into about a decision regarding eligibility.
6. Entries will only be accepted when an entry form is used in accordance with the specifications set out in the Competition Information and submitted and received by D.C. Thomson and/or the Society via the Website no later than 5pm on 19 June 2020, unless extended by D.C. Thomson in its sole discretion. Multiple entries from the same applicant are permitted, but only one entry per animal may be submitted unless otherwise permitted under the Competition Information..
7. Competitions are free to enter, however a donation of at least £5 for each entry to the charity recommended in the Competition Information is strongly encouraged..
8. Applicants must be the owner of the animals submitted for the Competition and D.C. Thomson and/or the Society reserve the right to request such information of applicants to verify this requirement (and their decision thereon shall be final) at any stage of the Competition. Entries must be submitted in accordance with the format specified in the Competition Information. The decision of D.C. Thomson and/or the Society as to whether an entry meets these requirements shall be final and no correspondence shall be entered into D. C. Thomson and the Society accept no responsibility for lost, delayed or damaged entries or entries that are not received for any reason.
9. Winners will be notified within 28 days of the closing date (or such other date specified in the Competition Information). Any late entries will not be accepted and the participant shall not be entitled to reclaim any associated costs from D.C Thomson or the Society (including any donations made)..
10. Incomplete or illegible entries will not be counted and will be discarded. D. C. Thomson and/or the Society has no responsibility to inform any entrant that their entry is incomplete or illegible or not valid for entry to a Competition.
11. D. C. Thomson and/or the Society is not liable for any associated cost to entrants, winners or their parents or guardians of entering a Competition or claiming a prize unless expressly specified in the Competition Information.
12. Entrants (including the winners) hereby assign all intellectual property rights and waive all moral rights in their entry to D. C. Thomson. Entries cannot be returned to entrants unless D. C. Thomson specifically agrees to do so. Where materials are returned to the participant, D. C. Thomson accepts no responsibility for the safe return of any material or its return in an undamaged condition or any liability for loss or damage to such material.
13. In entering the Competition, you warrant that you have the rights in all information and content (in whatever medium) that you submit and that any information you provide is correct and not obscene or offensive or otherwise in breach of any third party rights. D. C. Thomson and/or the Society reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants. D. C. Thomson reserves the right to disqualify any entrant from the Competition if it believes (in its sole discretion) that such entrant has breached any of these terms or the specific terms applying to the Competition.
14. Entrants (including winners) shall not do or say anything in connection with a Competition that could damage or harm the reputation of D. C. Thomson or its group companies, the Society, the promoter of the Competition (if different), any products included within D.C. Thomson’s or Society publications or any D. C. Thomson or Society publications or sites.
Judging and Draws
15. For Competitions, all classes of Competition may be split at the entire discretion of D.C.Thomson and/or the Society. Entries will be judged by a judge or panel of judges chosen at the entire discretion of D.C. Thomson and/or the Society.. The judge/judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
16. Unless expressed otherwise in the Competition Information, if, for any reason, D. C. Thomson is unable to contact a winner to inform them that they have won a Competition, or if a winner does not contact D. C. Thomson within a reasonable period of D. C. Thomson sending notification to such winner to confirm acceptance of a prize, then D. C. Thomson serves the right (in its sole discretion) to select an alternative winner.
17. Any prizes shall be offered to the applicant of record only (and not any other third party) and are not transferable.
18. No cash alternative to any non-monetary prize is available. D. C. Thomson and/or, (if applicable) the Society reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value than that advertised.
19. Prize winners are responsible for paying all taxes, duties and any other levies on prize winnings.
20. D. C. Thomson may pass details of winners to a third party who is engaged to deliver prizes to winners on behalf of D. C. Thomson and/or the Society or (as the case may be) a sponsor or alternative promoter.
Publication of Winners’ Names
21. Names of winners and results of Competitions may be published by D.C. Thomson and/or the Society in their publications and/or on their relevant sites. To obtain the name(s) of the winner(s) of a specific Competition, please send a stamped addressed envelope to:- Scottish Agricultural Show, D. C. Thomson & Co., Ltd, 2 Albert Square, Dundee, DD1 9QJ, Scotland, UK after the relevant closing date. Please indicate on the envelope the name, publication and date of the specific Competition.
Publicity and Use of Personal Information
22. Entrants agree that (if they win) they will take part in such reasonable Competition-related publicity as D. C. Thomson and/or the Society may require and accept that D. C. Thomson and/or the Society may publicise their entry, including photos or images submitted as part of their entry, names, likeness and statements in connection with/resulting from the Competition in any and all media. Unless stated otherwise in the Competition Information, no Entrants or Winners shall be obliged to take part in any photo publicity. Entrants shall not enter into any correspondence or give interviews with any third party on any matters arising from the Competition, without prior written permission of D. C. Thomson and the Society.
23. D. C. Thomson and/or the Society may use data supplied by entrants to process the Competition, inform winning participants of their winning entry, distribute prizes. Where the relevant marketing permissions have been collected, D.C. Thomson may contact entrants in relation to other Competitions it runs or to market products or services it believes may be of interest to them. The Society may share your personal data with Breed Societies and/or the Horse of the Year Show (where applicable).
24. Entry into the Competition shall constitute consent to the uses of data contained in these Terms.
26. Except in the case of death or personal injury caused by their negligence or fraud, D. C. Thomson and the Society shall not be liable to any entrant (and/or any guest or parent/guardian of an entrant, as applicable) for any loss or damage howsoever caused (whether in contract, tort (including, without limitation, negligence) statutory duty or otherwise) arising out of or in connection with a Competition. If D. C. Thomson or the Society is liable to a participant for any reason (other than death or personal injury arising from D. C. Thomson’s negligence) such liability shall be limited to £50 in aggregate.
27. To the fullest extent permitted by law D. C. Thomson and/or the Society does not make any express or implied warranties, representations or endorsements whatsoever with regard to the Competition prizes or any information, service or product provided in connection with a Competition.
28. D. C. Thomson and/or the Society does not accept any responsibility for network, computer hardware or software failures of any kind, including (without limitation) those which may restrict or delay the sending or receipt of an entry.
29. Competitions and these Terms (including in respect of any non-contractual obligations) are governed by Scots law and any disputes arising in connection with a Competition and/or these Terms (including in respect of any non-contractual obligations) will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Scotland.